Sunday, April 1, 2012

Taste Test: Melt In Your Mouth Chicken + Oven Fire

Another easy and yummy recipe! With this recipe, you mix mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, and garlic powder together. Then, you spread it over the chicken and bake it. Mine did not brown as much as the one in the picture. (Click picture for full recipe)

I had a lot of chicken when I made this. So, instead of putting it in a dish with sides on it, I put mine on a cookie sheet. The mixture is very thick and I didn't think about it running as it baked. Well, as you remember from my last post, Stephen and I are moving in a couple of weeks. So, I popped the chicken in the oven and rode down to the end of the street to check out our new place. All we did was drive by it and drive right back. We were gone for less than 10 minutes. When I got home, I could smell the chicken and here it dripping in the oven. When I opened the door, smoke came pouring out. I freaked out and tried to put aluminum foil down to catch the drippings. That idea worked okay at first, but then the juices just kept dripping. When I looked back in, every time some dripped, it would ignite a little flame in the bottom of the oven. I pulled the chicken out and turned the oven off, but the chicken wasn't quite done. My kitchen is filled with smoke now and I can't see because my eyes are watering so bad from the smoke. I let things cool off, but since I didn't think the chicken was done, I turned the oven back on to let it cook a little longer. Things got very smokey again, but no more fire.

This fiasco left a HUGE mess in the bottom of my oven. So, the next day I tried to clean it. I drenched my oven in 409 and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I got about a quarter of it off, but the rest was baked on. So, I decided to use the clean option on the oven. I locked the door and switched the switch to clean. I came back 30 minutes later to find flames in my oven again. I thought about standing there and just watching the stuff burn off, but then I realized I didn't have a plan if my whole oven ignited in flame. So, I turned it off. I tried one more time the next day with the clean button and whatever was flammable must have burned away because it cleaned itself beautifully! It was a mess there for a few days though.

The chicken was very good! Note to self: Use a pan with sides so it doesn't run all over your oven and you should have no problem!

I rate this an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment