At the end of last school year, I was doing a long term sub position for a teacher. She told me about a role she had been in the year before and it sounded just like what I was looking for. Teaching/Supporting math, but out of the regular classroom. When she went back to the classroom, they technically didn't refill her position. I sent a quick email to my principal, who knew me from when I taught at Carrington the first time, and told her if she was going to rehire for that position, I'd love to be considered. Before long, I had an email from HR letting me know I had been hired as the Math Interventionist!
Being back in person full time for the first time since the world shut down for COVID, made the start of the school year crazy busy! I reached out to my principal a few times to see if we could chat about my new role to be sure we were on the same page. Despite scheduling several meetings that had to be canceled for various reasons, before I knew it, it was January and I was making up my role as I went. I knew I was here to support math teachers and assist with small groups for math instruction, but I ended up being able to define what that looked like on my own.
I wrote the lesson plans for our Enrichment period, I pushed into classes and co-taught with teachers, I pulled small groups, I taught an elective class second semester, I worked with the instructional team, and I covered a lot of classes--thanks to COVID and no subs!
I really enjoy the flexibility this role offers and am looking forward to returning to it in the fall.
I get to do math in the school setting, but not worry about the day to day classroom responsibilities. I get to know a lot of the students in the whole school and get to work with a much larger team than what I'm used to since I work with all three grade levels.
I was blessed with probably the most flexible, relaxed role in education this past school year. It was a crazy year for teachers and administrators. I strived to do all I could to alleviate stress and help out. I did not take the flexibility and laid backness of this role for granted; it has been a perfect fit for me. I knew I was ready for a break from the classroom, but I wasn't ready to leave education. This role has been perfect in this season of having a young family, allowing me to continue to do what I love in my career as well as be present for my family when I get home.
As always...a look back!

No comments:
Post a Comment