Well, year 8 is in the books!
My focus this year was Chloe.
When I think back on this year, my mind remembers teaching while being pregnant, the swelling...oh the swelling, working so hard to get things in place for maternity leave, determined to work until she decided to come, maternity leave, and surviving the last 3 weeks of school.
Teaching while being pregnant involved:
Forgetting about my belly and knocking into students, especially their computers on their desk.
Contemplating multiple times a day how much I really needed to pick things up off the floor when they dropped.
Waddling down the hall when my back hurt so bad.
Challenging myself to drink 80 oz of water everyday at school.
Barely making it through the last unit I wanted to have taught before maternity leave.
Propping my feet up during planning...especially on days when the cankles were out of control.
Making all of my outfits work with wearing Toms because were the only shoes that fit.
Getting things ready for maternity leave involved:
Arranging for a former 6th grade math teacher to be here while I was out.
Meeting with her several times before being out to go over my routines and the remaining standards that needed to be taught.
Putting a binder together that would make any teacher heart smile (wishing now I had taken a picture).
Keeping all grades updated daily in the month of February so she wouldn't have to worry about it.
Determined to work until she decided to come involved:
Working through 2 days of contractions at work.
Googling what it feels like for your water to break the Tuesday before she was born on Thursday.
Wondering how I would make it through another day after Wednesday, REALLY hoping I wouldn't make it to the next week when a new unit was starting.
Teaching all day Wednesday and then going into labor Wednesday night at 9pm.
Maternity leave involved:
Focusing 100% on Chloe!
I kept in touch with my team and checked emails, but I did not worry about school AT ALL.
I was SO blessed with an AMAZING sub. I really can not say enough good things about her. She went above and beyond the call of duty...she sent weekly emails to parents and even offered after school tutoring. (Honestly, she put me to shame) I am forever grateful for the amazing job she did that allowed me to honestly completely check out of school mode with not a worry in the world!
Surviving the last 3 weeks of school involved:
A week of review, which wasn't terrible other than Chloe's bottle strike stressing me out.
A week of testing with no planning. I thought end of the year teacher tired was bad, adding new mom tired to that was no joke!
A week of babysitting. Thank you Lord for one to one technology.
A field trip to the park and zip lining.
Being so ready for a few more weeks of time at home with Chloe that I didn't even try to figure out how to work all 5 work days the next week.
Hello, summer!
Year Seven: Another Year
Year Six: Transitions
Year Five: Celebrations and Recognitions
Year Four: I Got This!
Year Three: Contentment
Year Two
Year One: A Year in Review
Year One: Lessons Learned


No comments:
Post a Comment