Talking to Stephen last night, I realized I didn't have any meetings this year where I walked away feeling completely deflated as an educator! Sometimes it's the little things! :)
I have had the opportunity to work with some awesome assistant principals, but that role for 7th grade has been a revolving door the past five years. In my five years, I have worked with 8 different people serving that role in some capacity. This year we started and ended the year with the same AP and she was awesome! It was the first time in my career (with one exception of an interim last year) that I had an AP come in, recognize where the strengths are, and use those strengths to her advantage. She was also not shy to encourage and compliment her teachers, even those who are often hard to compliment. She had our back when it came to student issues and always went to bat with us with crazy parents! She came to us from high school. Middle school, especially 7th grade, is a different world than high school. So, there was a big learning curve for her, but she handled it like a champ, always seeking advice and willing to change when something didn't work! You always have a special connection to your "first" group. That can be your first year teaching, first year as an administrator, first year in a new school...there are all kinds of firsts in education. The last day of school, she cried all day. I realized then (not for the first time) that she gets it! I don't know that I could have come out of this school year with a positive attitude if it had not been for her support.
Another huge encouragement and celebration was winning teacher of the year! I wasn't surprised to see my name on the ballot, there were a lot of names nominated. However, I was surprised that I tied with another teacher (the guy I voted to be teacher of the year) for the final. And, then walking up the stairs one afternoon, the announcement that I had won came over the intercom. It was such an honor to be recognized for my work by my colleagues and to be awarded that recognition. While it was a huge honor, I didn't realize how big of a deal it was. Carrington did a great job recognizing me and adding to the special occasion. Then, the district had a special dinner and banquet for all of the Teachers of the Years. This is me with my principal.
Then, just for fun, a few more shots from year 5...
Meet the teacher night
Working the gate, celebrating Carrington's 50th year
Christmas Dinner Fun!
Three hour early dismissal due to snow lunch dates with Stephen
LOTS of snow days with Stephen
Twin Day
Sometimes letting them write on the whiteboard leads to a lot of work getting done!
Sometimes it leads to them drawing hilarious pictures
8th Grade Formal
Field Trip Selfie
Hanging out with teacher friends
No comments:
Post a Comment