Friday, January 18, 2013

Half Way

As of today, this school year is half way over. That is crazy. I feel like we just started. The first part of the year always seems to fly by....it's the second half that takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r.

We ended in style today with a "snow" day. I forgot how much Durham freaks out about snow. Just from the forecast, they canceled all afternoon activities yesterday at the end of the school day. Then, before we could get out of the building, they had already changed our required teacher work day (aka meetings all day) to an optional teacher work day (aka no meetings). Before the snow even started, my principal had called and emailed encouraging us to work from home today. The snow we got wasn't even measurable. By the time I left the apartment at 9:45 this morning, most of the roads were dry.

I'm not complaining, though. It was nice to get to sleep in a little more, not sit in meetings today, and get a lot done in a deserted school. This was the perfect kind of "snow" day...the kind you don't have to make up. 

Remember last week I showed my students this video. They loved it! My third period class decided to dance walk to lunch. They have to walk in a line silently down the hall so other classes aren't disturbed. It was hilarious to see a class of 27 students silently dance walk down the hall to the tune in their head. I can only hope someone in the office saw on the security cameras and got a good laugh out of it. Crazy kids!

I bought myself some Toms last week. They are the thing to have right now...especially with middle schoolers. Toms and an iPhone. My students rarely notice and comment on my feet. But, I got several comments about my Toms. "Uh oh Mrs. Snyder's got Toms!!"

I gave a test last Friday on percents. Several students had questions as they worked their way through it. As I was making my way around the room, I noticed a confused look on a girl's face and then she raised her hand. When I went to answer her question, she pointed to the question and said, "Is racquet spelled right?" "Um, yes." "Hmm I didn't realize that's how you spelled it." Then, she went back to working. So random.

I have a calendar in my classroom with school events written on it. A student walked by the other day and said, "What's milk junior day?" It took me a second and then I realized he meant MLK...Martin Luther King Junior...

...see, I told you they still say funny things. I just have to be intentional about listening for them now.

Well, with the "snow" day today and milk jr MLK Jr day on Monday, I've got myself a four day weekend that I plan on enjoying curled up on the couch with a book!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment