Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Taste Test: Clean Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad and thought this recipe sounded good minus some of the things I don't like. :)

Ingredients:
2 cooked skinless, boneless chicken breasts - cut into cubes (I used a whole pack of chicken, boiled and shredded it)
2 celery sticks, chopped (I left this out...I hate celery)
1/2 red onion, chopped (I left this out)
1/2 cup red seedless grapes, quartered (When I got to the check out and they tried to charge me $8 for grapes, I said no thank you and substituted an apple)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, non-fat (Is there Greek yogurt that has fat?)
1 tsp garlic powder (No thank you)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (I prefer my chicken salad to be sweet, not peppery)
Sea salt to taste (Felt I didn't need it)
2 whole wheat pita pockets (Couldn't find pita pockets...so I used whole wheat sandwich thins)
4 romaine lettuce leaves (I substituted shredded lettuce)

Directions: In a large bowl, mix all of the salad ingredients. Eat as is or as a pita sandwich.

I love chicken salad and it is one thing I make by adding a little of this and a little of that until it tastes right. My chicken salad usually consists of chicken, mayonnaise, grapes, and sweet salad cubes. SO GOOD!

Essentially with this, I felt like I was just substituting the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt...and the grapes for apples because of the cost.

I had a little bit of sweet salad cubes left over from the last time I made it that I threw in.

It was edible, but not very flavorful. I didn't mind the Greek yogurt in place of the mayonnaise, but would have preferred grapes and more sweet salad cubes. I don't know if the sweet salad cubes disqualify it from being clean, but I know Greek yogurt is better than mayonnaise.

I also had this for lunch on the day that I was intentionally turning down free Chick-Fil-A on our field trip. So, I ate this while everyone around me ate Chick-Fil-A...that could add to the fact I wasn't inclined to eat the rest of it later...

I'll give Greek yogurt another shot, but will add my own things to taste like the sweet salad cubes...

1 comment:

  1. Greek yogurt is high in fat (unless you buy the non-fat, of course). The kind I buy uses whole milk and it is SO GOOD! It's called Greek Goddess, i think. Still healthy for you even with the fat...it has the live cultures/probiotics.

    ReplyDelete