I love banana bread! So, this recipe caught my attention from the beginning. I couldn't find almond meal or oat bran in the grocery store, but figured out how to make my own using my new food processor (Thanks, Mama Barb!)
1 cup almond meal = 1 cup almonds + 1 Tbs sugar
1 cup oat bran = 1 cup oats
Process in processor until fine
This recipe was a little bit of work, but any home baking is, right?
The apples in this...awesome!
Everything else...eh.
The bread didn't have much flavor so I sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar on top and that helped.
If you know me, you know I'm picky about texture. I've decided in this clean eating process that oats just aren't for me. The feel of them in my mouth (whole or ground to a fine dust) make me want to spit them out. In this bread, they made things a bit mushy. If I managed to keep a piece of apple in each bite, I was fine. Otherwise, it was a struggle.
We'll finish off this loaf, but I doubt if we'll make it again...
Rating 6 out of 10
Ingredients:
Apples
2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and diced
1 Tbs stevia
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
Banana Bread
1 cup almond meal
1 cup oat bran
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
8 Tbs extra light olive oil
2 Tbs stevia
2 eggs
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas
Directions:
350 degrees Fahrenheit
Apples
1. Put diced apples in a small pot on medium heat
2. Add stevia, cinnamon, & vanilla
3. Saute until golden brown - about 5 minutes
4. Set aside
Banana Bread
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the almond meal, oat bran, baking powder, cinnamon, stevia, and nutmeg
2. In another bowl whisk the olive oil, eggs, almond milk, and vanilla
3. Slowly add the liquid mixture to the almond meal mixture, in about 4 batches
4. Once combined, stir in the mashed bananas and fold in the apples
5. Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for approx. 50 minutes, or when a wooden skewer comes out clean
6. Once ready, let cool inside the tin, remove, and serve
Note: this bread freezes very well, so its great to make a big batch & portion for snacks!
I love that you made banana bread because I had everything ready to make chocolate chip banana bread for you this weekend!! Maybe next time!
ReplyDelete