Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Fun In the Sun with Mickey Mouse

I spent last Thursday-Sunday in Orlando Florida with the band and chorus from school on a field trip.


Getting to go away with the best of the best for a few days to sunny Florida and hang out at amusement parks all day is a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it! :)


We left Wednesday right after school and got to Orlando around 12:15am. I have to be honest, that bus ride was miserable! Thankfully, I had my own seat and got some rest the last 2-3 hours, but my back and shoulders hurt so bad when we got there. Charter buses just aren't the place to sleep...especially as I get older.

We had a chill day on Thursday. We shopped in Downtown Disney and explored the Florida Mall, which was connected to our hotel. We ate lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and may or may not have almost walked out on part of our bill. Oops! I've decided that the best way to save money on a shopping trip is to go shopping with 4 middle school boys. The stores they care about are not enticing to me at all! The students were in their rooms at 7:30 to ensure lots of rest for their competition the next day.

Friday morning we got up early and headed to the performing arts center. We were the first group to compete. Despite the fact that the venue wasn't ready for us when we got there and we had to wait 45 minutes for all of the judges to show up, the band did an EXCELLENT job!

We were out of there and arriving at Magic Kingdom by noon. As we walked into Magic Kingdom, a parade started. It's so cool how magical Disney is and how it brings out the kid in everyone! We explored and rode rides until 9pm. It was such a fun day!



Saturday we were up at the crack of dawn again and waiting outside the gates of Islands of Adventure for them to open at 8am. Being the first in the park is awesome because there are no lines! My group got to ride all of the new Harry Potter rides twice before 10am. We spent the rest of the day riding rides in Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. I was impressed with how short most of the lines were. They did have to wait 45 minutes for the Hulk and 75 minutes for the Rocket (a newer roller coaster in Universal). However, they ended up riding the Rocket twice in those 75 minutes. We squeezed in a few water rides throughout each day to stay cool!

This was after they got off of the Popeye ride, which SOAKS you to the bone! The kid on the far left didn't ride...so you can tell how wet everyone else is!

I got to meet Shrek and Donkey!! Donkey was so cool! He had a conversation with you. I stood there and listened to him talk for a long time because he was so funny! The guy doing it sounded just like Eddie Murphy.

I had the best, most sweetest group of boys. I was so impressed with our whole group's behavior and respect throughout the entire trip!

Sunday we were up and rolling out at 6:45am. After a loooong, but not nearly was miserable bus trip, with one stop to flush out the stinky toilet on the bus (which I'm still convinced the bus driver stunk up) and an hour and a half wait on our relief driver, we made it home at 7:30pm.

We were all exhausted, but had such a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment