Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Morgantonfest 2016

This past weekend was Morganton's annual festival, Morgantonfest. You may remember from last year that we rent out our parking spaces at the church to raise money for our student ministry. Stephen spent the majority of the weekend organizing people and parking cars and I spent Friday evening up there helping this year.

On Saturday I volunteered at the festival to help judge a Crossfit competition that the gym we do Crossfit at hosted. When I initially signed up to help, I was thinking it would only be for a few hours. A week or so ago I learned it was from 9-4...all day! They were already short judges so I felt bad backing out, but wasn't looking forward to spending my whole Saturday there.

Then I got nervous about it when I went in for judges training. It was my job to count reps and make sure the competitors were doing the moves right. He kept saying, "You just gotta make the call and go with it! If they argue with you, send them to me." I got scared that people were going to be getting mad at me if I made the wrong call or that I wouldn't be brave enough to tell them they were doing it wrong. Thankfully, he only put me as a judge on the scaled events. They're important, but not as big of a deal as the Rx competitions...those people are super hard core and they had money riding on it.

It ended up not being bad at all...other than the heat. I didn't have anyone get mad at me, I told them if they weren't doing something right, and no one argued with me. I was so impressed with their endurance and strength. It was hot out there and these workout weren't easy to begin with.

In event one, they had 10 minutes to max out on hang clean, a front squat, and hang clean squat complex, meaning they had to do all three lifts pretty much in fluid motion...no pausing. In the scaled work out, we weren't picky about the pauses. Then they moved straight into 3 minutes of as many reps as possible of pull ups or ring rows. For the Rx work out they had to do chest to bar or bar muscle ups.




In event two, they had to split 200 single unders (jump rope), 50 knees to 90, 40 push ups, 30 burpee box jumps, 20 thrusters, and 200 more single unders. So partner one did 100 single unders, then partner two did 100 singles unders. Then, partner one did 25 knees to 90 and then partner two did 25 knees to 90...and so on. This event was the hardest to judge because it moved so fast and I had to count all of those reps. Most pairs finished this work out in about 6 minutes. Some people wanted you to count each rep out loud, which was the easiest while others only wanted you to count by tens. It was also in the heat of the day and we were outside so the mats and bars were so hot...not to mention a lot of them ripped their hands in event one doing the pull ups. In the Rx work out, they had to do double unders, toes to bar, and burpee box jump overs.

In event three, they had 150 wall balls followed by 30 snatches. They could split these however they wanted. Most pairs would do sets of 15 wall balls then switch off. By the time they got to the snatches, they would just do what they could then the other partner would take over. Their arms were shot by this point, but most finished this work out in about 6 minutes as well.



It ended up being fun and I think I could have done the scaled work out...I need to get a little stronger because you have to use the weight they put on. I don't know that I could have done as many reps as the work out required with the weight it required, but most of the other stuff I could do. Maybe next year I'll compete in it.

After the competition, I did a quick walk through the festival. I hated to be that close to it both days and never at least walk through. I like looking at the art vendors, but when I say I walked through quickly, I was quick. I think I stopped in two tents and the rest I just walked by.

Between the heat Friday night parking cars, and heat all day Saturday, along with getting up early Saturday, I was ready for a shower and some time on the couch. I came home and crashed the rest of the night!

They were very successful parking cars and made close to $4000! Overall it was a good weekend!

Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment