Friday, September 5, 2014

New Home Away from Home

Well, after being quite settled in my classroom the past three years, I got moved to a new location this year. My former classroom was on the bridge hallway between the two halls that house the 7th grade. I was the only classroom on that hall and had these awesome benches right outside where I could put groups of students to work. It was quiet and isolated. I loved it! Now, I've been moved around the corner, right next door to where I spent my first year. My classroom is smaller, but we're making it work.

Mom and Allyson spent all day with me one Saturday helping me get everything moved. I'm the type of person that needs things settled (unpacked, organized, hung on the wall, etc) before I can get any "real" work accomplished. I would not have been ready for the beginning of school without them!

Stephen also came and helped. I had collected a class set of desks that all matched and would hold the bins I put under my desks perfectly. So, we switched 30 desks from one room to the next. He did most of the heavy lifting!
I am not a bulletin board person. I hate figuring out what to put on bulletin boards and hate changing them. So, my goal is always to put something up that can be left up for the entire year. Each time I've switched classrooms, I've gained an additional bulletin board. So, I had to figure out what to put on this new bulletin board. I decided it would be my spot for student work. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty pumped with how it turned out. Black background, polka dot border, and glitter letters! I kind of don't want to put student work on it! :)
I got that welcome banner from Michael's. I almost put it back because I don't really need it, but with Allyson's discount, it was only $4. That wall will be where I hang my students' Equation Collages that they make about themselves. Again, I hate having to change things so I always cover my bare wall with them and leave them up all year. The students LOVE looking at them!
 A look at the front of my room.
Above my side board, I made new signs for my RULES for solving word problems. Originally I planned to change them every year, but haven't changed them in at least two years. Paper gets so faded so quickly. It's nice to look up and see bright colors hanging there again. They'll be nice and faded in a few weeks though...
 A look at all 4 corners of B12, my home for the 2014-2015 school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment