Tuesday, May 26, 2020

COVID Quarantine: Weeks 1-3

I saw multiple posts suggesting to keep a journal of what life is like during the quarantine as we're living through something in history that has never happened before.

I didn't have the mental capacity to fully journal, but I did keep track of my thoughts and feelings in a note on my phone. For reminiscing sake, here's my take on the COVID-19 quarantine of 2020...

Week One:
I was more anxious than I thought I would be. I heard talk that this was coming, but when it hit, the anxiety surprised me. I was worried about what this was really going to look like. Would we have access to essentials if things really got shut down? As the week progressed and things were still accessible, some of those fears wore off. The quarantine was not as restrictive feeling as I initially expected. I hated the unknown of it all the whole time!

We had our first virtual small group and it was so encouraging. It was nice to hear other people processing it all the same way I was. And it was refreshing to read scripture together that I focused on throughout the rest of the week.

The weather was amazing so we were outside A LOT! I got a few walks in by myself or just with Kinsley and would listen to worship music as I walked. We went to the greenway with friends to maintain sanity and have a change of scenery.


The only place I drove, other than the greenway, was to Chick-Fil-A (shocker, I know) to go through the drive-thru...twice. Other than that, we didn't leave the neighborhood. I stocked up on groceries (2 weeks worth) the week before.

Stephen continued to go into the church to work.

Chloe started staying home from preschool. I enjoyed the one on one time I got with her.



We FaceTimed family a lot and really focused on solidifying potty training. We also had a fun friend FaceTime session.


I kept a friend's daughter while she had to work since school/day care was closed. We baked cookies with David.

I was really hopeful that social distancing would help lift the quarantine sooner rather than later, but was already okay with the thought of school being out the rest of the year.

As talk of a stay in place mandate increased, anxiety began to creep back in. I began to be intentional about limiting social media...especially before bed. I printed some coloring sheets and colored some to decompress before bed.

Week Two:
Virtual church...not easy with a toddler running around.

School was canceled through May 15.

We started running low on milk and I was nervous about even trying to find more. I sent Stephen because I wasn't ready to process seeing bare aisles at the grocery store. He found it!

We had a family group video game night.

A lot more outside time! So grateful for good weather.





Jessica and I started hustling on our Fitbit apps...competition to see who could get the most steps.

Stay in place order starts the beginning of next week.


Week Three:
We seem to have found a new normal...get up, play outside/walk, lunch, nap, play outside/walk, dinner, bath, bed, repeat! Not hating it at all!

The weather has been so nice! (Such a huge God blessing). Walks on the greenway, walks in the neighborhood, yard work, dinner on the deck.







Stephen officially got the Summit RDU job and started working at home more.

Stephen Stockham got deployed.

Chloe boycotted naps, but that meant sweet bedtime snuggles.

FaceTime dates kept everyone entertained.

I tried to avoid the news as much as possible because it quickly added back to the fear/anxiety about the unknown of all of this. Having a baby and a toddler definitely gave me more than enough to focus on!

No comments:

Post a Comment