Last week I had the opportunity to help host Jump Start at Liberty. Jump Start is a three day mini camp for rising 6th graders. They get to come spend some time in the school, learning their way around, meeting new friends, and learning how to use a lock. I had never heard of a camp like this and I think it is such a good idea! Transitioning to middle school is a scary thing for parents and students and this was a great way to help ease that transition.
Wednesday as students arrived, they were led on a tour of the school with our junior counselors. Then, they practiced using a lock while waiting for the day to get started. We spent some time doing introductions and a quick overview of the school. Before moving into a few ice breakers, we had them reflect on what they thought 6th grade was going to be like.
Some answers were hilarious!
Then we broke students up into 4 groups for ice breakers. I led the beach ball station. We tossed the ball around and answered the question our thumb landed on.
We had a human knot station
A balloon tower station where they had to work with their team to build the tallest balloon tower
And, a Heads Up (charades) station
Thursday we started with some fun Minute to Win It games.
We handed out t-shirts and played a group game in the gym and then we ended the day with a lock relay. Learning to use a lock is so stressful so we got as much practice in as we could during Jump Start.
Friday students did a scavenger hunt around the school and ended with a few more ice breaker games. I led Hoopla! where students had to stand in a circle and pass a hula hoop around without using their hands.
We had a Human Alphabet station where students formed different words with their teammates.
There was a lock station and the last station played Radioactive River. Using a scooter and two carpet squares teams had to get across the Radioactive River without touching the water (floor).
It was a great three days and I think it really helped students not as nervous about coming to middle school.



No comments:
Post a Comment