My first alarm goes off at 4:45 am. I snooze a little and am up within the next 30 minutes to an hour depending on what I need to get done at school that morning.
I like to start my day off with my quiet time. So, I venture into the guest room to read and pray before starting my day.
Then, it's time to get ready for the day and head out the door by 6:50 at the latest.
This time of year I usually get to watch the sunrise from my classroom. It's always so pretty to watch the colors in the sky first thing in the morning!
The calm before the storm. This is the hallway my classroom is on. The first door you see on the left with the yellow the sign is my room.
7am "Teachers please report for morning duty."
From 7-7:25, I monitor the hallway as students are coming in and going to their locker.
This time is also used to help anyone who needs a little help with their homework or work from the day before.
From 7:25-8:12 we have GIFT, which is our Global Focus time. Each teacher planned a project related to their content that helped students learn about current issues going on around them. The seventh grade math team planned a project where students investigated minimum wage, the average cost of living in NC and made comparisons. Then, they made a poster defending their opinion on what minimum wage should be. Students work on these projects, rotating through each content area, Monday-Thursday...
...then Friday is club day. I have an Odyssey of the Mind club where I have a maximum of 7 students working together to solve a problem or create something. My team this year is planning a Silent Movie.
8:15-9:40 is planning for me. This time is filled with emails, copies, planning, meetings, and parent conferences. Monday we have professional development, Tuesday is parent conference day, Wednesday is PLC day (all 7th grade math teachers meet together), Thursday I have all to myself, and Friday is team meeting day. Meetings are scheduled for the first part of planning so I usually have the last 45 minutes to get things ready for the day. I like having planning in the morning because it leaves room for last minute planning changes or copies!
Then, from 9:45-2:20 I teach four different classes with a 25 minute lunch thrown in!
Some days we have computers, which is always fun for me!
25 minutes with 300 seventh graders for lunch
Some days we have computers, which is always fun for me!
25 minutes with 300 seventh graders for lunch
After two more classes after lunch, 2:30-3 is filled with more emails, meetings, and one-on-one tutoring for anyone who needs it.
It's rare I leave right at 3, but I try to be gone by 4 at the latest. My nights and weekends are sometimes filled with grading and other school tasks. The farther I get into teaching the less this happens. Thank goodness!
And, that's my day!
And, that's my day!
No comments:
Post a Comment