We didn't potty train Kinsley until she was almost 3. This was not her fault at all! She probably was ready to train much early, but life happens. I learned it's best if we mark a weekend on the calendar to potty train, giving us at least 3 straight days at home. This is harder to schedule than you would think. I put a weekend on the calendar this past summer. Leading up to that weekend, a student event at church got scheduled that Stephen was going to have to be at and I was very pregnant and very uncomfortable. I did not have the energy to watch her every move or bend over to clean up pee off the floor all day. So we punted to the fall. I put a weekend on the calendar several weeks after Haddon was born to tackle this and then we got in our wreck. Again, there was no mental or physical energy to give past a newborn and a preschooler in a Spica cast. So, the week after Christmas it was. Third time was the charm!
Things started a little rocky that first day when she had a little meltdown over not wanting to take off her diaper and pajamas. I thought it was going to be a long day full of battling her. But, when I told her I had new panties for her, she got excited. Then, she would not go potty for us. It took Chloe going potty with her for her to go the first time.
After she peed that first time, Chloe said, "Yay! She's potty trained!"
Impressively she only had one accident all day.
We limited screen time significantly to keep the focus on being successful on the potty. New toys from Christmas were a great distraction.
We did use watching videos as a bribe some, setting short timers as rewards.
She knew she needed to poop. When Chloe went to poop, Kinsley did too. I was surprised we got her to poop on the potty on day 1. Having big sister to watch was a huge encouragement!
By late afternoon of day 1 she was telling us when needed to pee.
On Day 2 she peed first thing in the morning. She had an accident while watching videos, but she also had her first outing to Nana's house and did great there! She had another accident playing outside, which was the biggest hurdle for Chloe too when she was potty training, but those were the only 2 accidents.
She got a Hershey kiss for peeing on the potty and a piece of gum when she pooped on the potty. She loves gum so she kept trying to poop because she really wanted gum.
She said, "I pretend poop. I have gum now?"
On Day 3, she was calling out at 6:45 am saying she needed to go pee pee. She was dry from the night!
She didn't pee then, but she stayed dried and peed about 30 minutes after getting up.
She started this day off telling us when she needed to pee. We would still make her go if it been a while.
She had one accident when we left her alone too long.
She went to the store with Stephen and told Stephen when she needed to pee.
She even came in from outside to tell me when she needed to pee.
She didn't want a diaper on at nap. I still put one on her just in case and she woke up dry!
She was going potty by herself by the end of the day.
An Day 4 she was just a little wet in her diaper from the night. She initiated going to the bathroom all morning and wanted to do it on her own!
She didn't have any accidents and I was forgetting even to remind her.
Past that she's done great! The only thing she keeps saying consistently is that she wants to poop in her diaper, but once we remind her she gets gum if she poops on the potty, she is good to go!
She had one accident during nap one day. We had been super busy all morning and nap time was going to be late so I just had her do some quiet time in her room. Then she wanted to nap so I just put her in her bed, totally forgetting she was potty training, that I should make her go, and probably put a diaper on her. 30 minutes into the nap, she was crying, which is very odd for her. I went in and rubbed her back, still not even thinking about taking her potty. Then she rolled over and I saw she had wet the bed, which is what woke her up. That was totally my fault!
A month in and she is consistently waking up dry in the morning. We are still putting a diaper on her at night just in case, but once they're gone, we'll probably stop that. We've stopped having her sleep in one at nap time.
She prefers sitting on the big potty as long as she can hold on. I did buy her a potty seat that she likes to use when she poops. She used the little training potty some at first, but doesn't use it now unless she insists on going while Chloe is going.
She can hold her pee a long time! She is scared of the bathrooms at school and is adamant that she will just pee at home. She's stayed dry at school so we aren't stressing about it!
Things started a little rocky that first day when she had a little meltdown over not wanting to take off her diaper and pajamas. I thought it was going to be a long day full of battling her. But, when I told her I had new panties for her, she got excited. Then, she would not go potty for us. It took Chloe going potty with her for her to go the first time.
After she peed that first time, Chloe said, "Yay! She's potty trained!"
Impressively she only had one accident all day.
We limited screen time significantly to keep the focus on being successful on the potty. New toys from Christmas were a great distraction.
We did use watching videos as a bribe some, setting short timers as rewards.
She knew she needed to poop. When Chloe went to poop, Kinsley did too. I was surprised we got her to poop on the potty on day 1. Having big sister to watch was a huge encouragement!
By late afternoon of day 1 she was telling us when needed to pee.
On Day 2 she peed first thing in the morning. She had an accident while watching videos, but she also had her first outing to Nana's house and did great there! She had another accident playing outside, which was the biggest hurdle for Chloe too when she was potty training, but those were the only 2 accidents.
She got a Hershey kiss for peeing on the potty and a piece of gum when she pooped on the potty. She loves gum so she kept trying to poop because she really wanted gum.
She said, "I pretend poop. I have gum now?"
On Day 3, she was calling out at 6:45 am saying she needed to go pee pee. She was dry from the night!
She didn't pee then, but she stayed dried and peed about 30 minutes after getting up.
She started this day off telling us when she needed to pee. We would still make her go if it been a while.
She had one accident when we left her alone too long.
She went to the store with Stephen and told Stephen when she needed to pee.
She even came in from outside to tell me when she needed to pee.
She didn't want a diaper on at nap. I still put one on her just in case and she woke up dry!
She was going potty by herself by the end of the day.
An Day 4 she was just a little wet in her diaper from the night. She initiated going to the bathroom all morning and wanted to do it on her own!
She didn't have any accidents and I was forgetting even to remind her.
Past that she's done great! The only thing she keeps saying consistently is that she wants to poop in her diaper, but once we remind her she gets gum if she poops on the potty, she is good to go!
She had one accident during nap one day. We had been super busy all morning and nap time was going to be late so I just had her do some quiet time in her room. Then she wanted to nap so I just put her in her bed, totally forgetting she was potty training, that I should make her go, and probably put a diaper on her. 30 minutes into the nap, she was crying, which is very odd for her. I went in and rubbed her back, still not even thinking about taking her potty. Then she rolled over and I saw she had wet the bed, which is what woke her up. That was totally my fault!
A month in and she is consistently waking up dry in the morning. We are still putting a diaper on her at night just in case, but once they're gone, we'll probably stop that. We've stopped having her sleep in one at nap time.
She prefers sitting on the big potty as long as she can hold on. I did buy her a potty seat that she likes to use when she poops. She used the little training potty some at first, but doesn't use it now unless she insists on going while Chloe is going.
She can hold her pee a long time! She is scared of the bathrooms at school and is adamant that she will just pee at home. She's stayed dry at school so we aren't stressing about it!
I thought potty training Chloe was easy. Kinsley was a breeze too! Hopefully round 3 in a few years will be just as easy! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment