Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Hot Air Balloon Festival

Last year around this time, I noticed a lot of people posting pictures of hot air balloons on social media. As I did a little research, I learned it was a Hot Air Balloon festival and it looked so fun!
So, I added it to my list to do this year thinking we would have to travel for it.

But, we got lucky! The festival came to Raleigh this year and it did not disappoint!

Doing research about the event before hand, I was a little nervous. People from Friday did not post great reviews (long lines, not enough bathrooms, not enough food). Some of those things are easy to fix within a day (order more porta-potties and schedule more food trucks).

The main events took place in Zebulon so with the slight fear the one in Raleigh would be lame, I thought it was the safer bet in terms of a smaller crowd. It also had free parking and was 30 minutes closer.

We parked at Triangle Town Center and waited in line for over an hour to ride the shuttle. The shuttle ride was less than 4 minutes and we quickly realized we easily could have walked.
We found a nice spot in the shade and set up our chairs and blanket. 
Nothing was happening...my crowd was hungry and getting grumpy, making comments about it being lame.



Since this whole thing was my idea, I started getting nervous.

We found the food trucks. They advertised 4 would be there. Four were there, but only 2 had actual food. The other two were funnel cakes and ice cream. And, the lines were not moving, nor was anyone walking away with any food.

So, we decided to walk back to the mall where we knew there was a food court.

As we sprinted through the mall, we started getting texts that the balloons were going up...
...ahh...we're going to miss it!

Thankfully, we still got to see a couple inflate and had plenty of time to get cool pictures once we got back.


It was a beautiful evening for family time, a picnic, and a hot air balloon show!





Then, once the sun set, they did the glow. 


I would highly recommend this if it comes near you. It was free and very family friendly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment