My reading picked up over the summer and then slowed significantly once school started. I need to clear out my "To Read" list so here is a recent review of what I've read.
From an Amazon review: Imagine a 13-year-old girl—think a modern-day Scout—old enough to have experience of the evils of the world, young enough to think declaring herself an outlaw will keep her and her younger brother safe.
A little slow at first for me with other slow parts throughout. But then the plot twists started and kept going. Overall, I enjoyed it.
This was really good! Creepy, but not scary. Weird characters. It would make a great movie and I'd love a sequel. Wait! There is one...ran to get it...read below...
Picks up right where book 1 leaves off, but brings in other story lines. Slightly unbelievable that this 25 year mystery gets solved in a few weeks, but still so good!
The story of a black boy with a toy gun, never pointed at the officer, but still shot by him. Quick, short, easy read. But so powerful! This would be a great conversation starter, especially for students in affluent white schools to read.
Dream 5 years in the future. I thought I had it figured out before the details were revealed. I wasn't sure I wanted to finish...it hit too close to home, but I did. It was beautifully written!
This book "shows us how to move on after loss, and how the people we love never truly leave us." This was a slower read for me. You have to have a pretty high willing suspension of disbelief. It got unrealistic real quick for me, but not so much that I wanted to put it down. I was interested in what the author was doing. It ended up not being what I expected, but it was a sweet story that wrapped back around to reality at the end.
A friend posted this synopsis: "Victorian symbolism behind the flowers, a flawed main character that allows us a very real look inside the heart and mind of foster children while generating compassion and sympathy (and maybe even an extra measure of patience or a push toward extending love to a child that needs it), a style and plot that propels you through the pages, and the amount of research that the author put into her writing."
It took me a while to pick this one up. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the Victorian symbolism alluded to in this synopsis, but it was good! It was sad at so many points, but so good. It will definitely soften your heart toward people.
I was sucked in at chapter one. I love Jodi Picoult so I didn't look into the synopsis of this much. Because of that, one of the plot twists (arguably, the main one) surprised me. The ending was a little disappointing for me, but everything gets wrapped up. I'd definitely recommend it.
A little slow at first, but I kept reading because this author is known for great plot twists. Then it got good and I was super interested in finding out what happened. I don't know how I feel about the end though. Surprised? A little. But a little disappointed too, I think. She left some things unanswered that I was hoping would be wrapped up.
"A gripping debut novel about a survival reality show gone wrong that leaves a group of strangers stranded in the northern wilds." Overall great book. It was a quick page turned for sure. A few details (like the one minor love story) I could have done without. And a few details (one character development, specifically) I wish there was more of.
Two unsolved crimes that end up being loosely connected. (No! That's not a spoiler.) A little slow for me at times, but I wanted to know what happened so it definitely kept me reading for that. It would be an easy beach read!
This was a slow start for me, which tends to be a common thing for any historical fiction I pick up. When I say historical fiction with this one, it's heavy on the fiction side of that...a little Huck Finn feel to it. Then life also got crazy with school starting back. By the time I was sucked in, it was due back at the library and I couldn't renew it because someone else had a hold on it. So I crammed it in in one Saturday morning. It's a super sweet story that I ended up really enjoying!
A mom paranoid something is wrong with her child. I almost didn't read this one because of the description. I didn't need anything giving me a reason to be paranoid/anxious about my kids! But curiosity won. And it was a page turner! It is definitely dark in some spots and made my momma heart sad, but a good read!
I fully expected a cheesy romance novel with this one. While it was a lot of that, it ended up covering all of the emotions and pulling at my heart strings in a way I didn't expect. I really liked it despite expecting not to really be impressed.
This has also been on my list for a while now. Knowing it was historical fiction about the Holocaust, I kept skipping over it on my list. Don't put it off as long as I did! After reading the first few pages, I seriously considered not reading it because it was so sad. A mom in the ghetto with a newborn struggling to keep her alive. I could hardly bear the pain and fear I knew she felt. But I was sucked in. Sadly, the majority of this book is heartbreaking, but the author sucks you in with such deep emotion that you can't put it down, with characters that deserve to be known and remembered. I was in a book hangover for a few days after this one! Apparently this is kind of a sequel to another book. So I need to go read that one now.
SO good. This is the sequel to It Ends with Us from my last review list. I loved that one so I wasn't surprised that I loved this one. I stopped reading another book to read this one and flew through it! I wasn't overly impressed with Hoover's writing at first, but I am really liking her stuff now.
















No comments:
Post a Comment